skip navigation

Menace Secure 3 Points Against St Charles FC

By Mason Tatafu, 06/19/24, 9:45PM CDT


In an exciting matchup, the Des Moines Menace took on St Charles FC, with a win guaranteeing the Menace a spot at the top of the table, while a draw or win for St Charles would see them maintain the top position.

The Menace wasted no time, as a free kick from 25 yards out was beautifully taken by Marco Manduzio, curling the ball into the far side to give the Menace a 1-0 lead only four minutes into the game.

The next 20 minutes saw both teams struggle to maintain possession and create real chances. However, in the 22nd minute, a Menace short corner led to Manduzio's first attempt being blocked. The ball popped up above him, and a bicycle kick attempt went just over the crossbar.

Drama continued as only a couple of minutes later, the Menace’s Sami Lachekar went to the ground after a strong sprint to close a dangerous St Charles through ball. He had to leave the field, appearing to have sustained a hamstring injury.

The Menace began to find their rhythm late in the first half. In the 32nd minute, Kenshin Uneo had a chance at goal but shot wide of the post. In stoppage time, a cutback from Geni Kanyane found Edrey Caceres alone inside the St Charles 18, but his shot flew above the crossbar. The Menace kept up the high pressure, with a Caceres free kick crossed to Carlos Hernando, who almost gave the Menace their second goal with a narrowly missed header.

It only took one minute of the second half for the Menace to get another chance on goal, with Caceres' shot from the 18 finding the St Charles keeper's hands. After aggressive pressure from the Menace in the 51st minute, Felipe D'Agostini found himself with space at the St Charles 18 and blasted it into the far-right corner, putting the Menace ahead 2-0.

St Charles finally responded with Brandon Seal finding the ball in a nice pocket of space in the Menace 18, only to shoot wide of the goal. In the 61st minute, a loose ball from a poor St Charles pass was intercepted by the Menace's Mason Tatafu, who played D'Agostini through, who's strike hit the outer side netting.

A minute later, a St Charles long throw saw Seal have a shot from inside the Menace 18, only to be denied by the Menace’s Enzo Carvalho, who tipped it out for a corner.

In the 65th minute, a long diagonal ball played by Manduzio seemed overhit, but the St Charles keeper misread the bounce, allowing D’Agostini to pounce on the loose ball and finish calmly to put the Menace ahead 3-0.

Frustration built for St Charles in the 70th minute as they received a yellow card for an obvious shirt pull on Marc Torrellas. A massive counterattack from St Charles in the 73rd minute saw Carvalho forced to make a heroic save at full stretch, stopping a shot bound for the top corner of the Menace goal.

The pressure mounted for the Menace as nonstop attacks from St Charles led to a ball cut back in the Menace 6-yard box, making for an easy tap-in to make it 3-1. D’Agostini wasted no time responding, finding the ball on the corner of the St Charles 18. He cut inside onto his unfavored left foot but still found the back of the net with a carefully placed strike, making it 4-1.

In the 83rd minute, a long ball from deep within St Charles territory, gave St Charles the chance to find their second goal of the match.

The final minutes of the match did not disappoint in terms of action. The Menace's Peter Pearson committed a defensive foul in the Menace 18, giving St Charles a chance to make it 4-3 with a penalty kick. St Charles’ Ferguson stepped up to the spot, only to have his effort denied by Carvalho.

With Carvahlo's massive save, the match ends Menace 4 - St Charles FC 2. The win securing 3 important points for the Menace. 

The Menace play at Valley Stadium again on Saturday, June 22nd for Kick Childhood Cancer and Paws at the Pitch Night against Sueno FC.